Re: Back To The Banjo; The sequel. by TDF5G
[January 09, 2018, 12:45:52 PM]

Re: Triple stand by RonC
[January 09, 2018, 12:10:06 AM]

* Holler Box

Refresh History
  • Barry: Good Morning Everyone. :HotCoffee:
    Today at 06:22:26 AM
  • 59figmo: Gme... the wee hrs in the moanin...  I had ta..PEE...!
    Today at 04:42:44 AM
  • Barry: It was a great day blue sky's and warm.
    Yesterday at 08:05:01 PM
  • banjoham: Looking for unplated Baldwin/ODE armrest...
    Yesterday at 05:47:36 PM
  • Vapor: Another great day, Good Morning!
    Yesterday at 08:56:37 AM
  • Barry: Sunday Good Morning Everyone. :HotCoffee:
    Yesterday at 07:15:20 AM
  • Vapor: Good Morning All!
    January 20, 2018, 10:04:58 AM
  • Barry: Good Morning Everyone.  :HotCoffee: Here have a cup :HotCoffee:
    January 20, 2018, 06:12:22 AM
  • 59figmo: Gme....gittin ah head start on...Saturday...!
    January 20, 2018, 03:50:41 AM
  • 59figmo: Gme...
    January 19, 2018, 09:03:27 AM

Author Topic: Band In A Box  (Read 2859 times)

Offline TDF5G

• Hollerin' Fool
  • LET'S PICK!
Band In A Box
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »
I've just discoverd this Band In A Box yesterday.  I know, I live a sheltered life don't I? :laughing:

I was poking around on that other site and found there are all these backing tracks that people have posted for some popular bluegrass/banjo tunes.   I found some that really sounded great, sounds just like real instruments, guitar, fiddle, mandolin, upright acoustic bass.

After supper yesterday evening I plugged the laptop into my stereo system and played along with Fireball Mail.  It was really cool!  Even impressed my teenager young 'un!

So I tried a few more tracks, and I really had fun picking along with them.  I ended up playing along with about 10-12 different songs that I knew from the list, for about an hour or so.

Any backing tracks that I had heard prior to hearing these yesterday, had always been electronic MIDI type things or drum machine sounding tracks.  When I was much younger, I had an electronic keyboard that I would plug into the stereo and play along with the drum rhythms, most especially to make recordings of myself and practice timing sometimes.

But the BIAB thing I discovered is really neat.  I've just read a little about it on Janet Davis' website, and I'm now seriously considering getting one of these to play with.  And I mean play along with and also play with like a toy too! :smile:

I wasn't able to listen to Boog's file posted on this forum topic as it's no longer available, but I've listened some your recordings in the past, is that BIAB that you use, for recording yourself and playing along?

I think it would be great to make your own backing tracks in the keys and tempos that you want, which I know BIAB is capable of doing.  It has something to add vocals and harmonies also according to JDMC.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I think the ones I discovered yesterday were done with the bluegrass pack. 

Can anyone offer any opinions or any experience with BIAB.  Of course I'm only interested in using for bluegrass instruments to play along with. 

Thanks, Todd

Offline TDF5G

• Hollerin' Fool
  • LET'S PICK!
Re: Band In A Box
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »

Offline MikeR

• Global Moderator
  • Hollerin' Fool
  • Learning banjo..
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:42:13 AM »
Todd, I've got an older version... I never took the time to try and figure it out.... it has some good sounds to it...

Here is a link to a tutorial to let you see how it, may or may not, work for you.

Parts of it will not work on my Windows 8, I guess to it being so old a version...

http://www.larry-bolch.com/band-in-a-box/
I know I'll never be a great player so the only destination I can put on the front of my bus is "FURTHER"..  :Giggly:

Offline TDF5G

• Hollerin' Fool
  • LET'S PICK!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 03:56:45 PM »
Thanks Mike, I am going to read that first chance I get here to do so. 

Customers just won't leave me alone sometimes!   :lol:

Offline TDF5G

• Hollerin' Fool
  • LET'S PICK!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:06:29 AM »
Done a little reading on BIAB yesterday.  I think the bluegrass pack is something new.  Been available for a couple of years maybe.

Real Tracks is what I would want to have if I bought this.  It has the instruments that sound like the real thing.  I listened to some samples through the link that Mike posted.  It has a demo and you can sample each instrument individually.  They really sound good to me. :mando: :fiddler: :guitar: :bass:

I listened to a track (from the other site) again last night.  The guitar plays runs and the fiddle puts a little shuffle rhythm in the backup sometimes too.  It's just really cool!!  8)

Gonna have to write a letter to Santy Clause I reckon.  :thumbs:

Either that or sell some furniture maybe!  :ponder:

Offline RonC

• Hollerin' Fool
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:49:48 AM »
I have had BIAB since some of the earliest versions. As new versions came out, the program became more flexible, more realistic sounding and more complex.
I highly recommend it, even though I don't use it as much as I did. There was a time that I spent too much time with BIAB.
About 10 years ago, I wrote country and western style songs to be played on BIAB for my wife's birthday and Valentine's day. Don't have time for that any longer (or as Jane says: "You don't give yourself permission to take the time." It annoys me greatly when she is right.)

Ron